Nreal Airs - DRM Mode / cropping bug / low hz / investigation

Thank you for the response! YEAAA NICE! Thats some good news! If you need more testing i would offer to also give feedback, if you could send me the firmware update.

Hi againe, any news on a testing firmware? Would love to test the new fix.

and another try, any news on the new firmware? Iam running the beta nebula and had a firmware update weeks ago, but still have the same issue. Can we pls get the apk that provides the new firmware that will fix the issue? Thanks

Hi, the firmware will be released at end of this month, please give us some time.

I got same issue like this on my HDMI-to-USBC adapter. Hope any new firmware fix this, or anyone found any old version of firmware not got this error ?

I have tried two adaptors, one has the issue above, where the screen seems wrapped around. The other displays perfectly. Tested with Nintendo switch (docked), Xbox and an Apple TV.

Both don’t have audio though, but that’s easy work around.

Working one is:

1 Like

Hi.
I’ve just got my airs. I’m running the latest software and am experiencing this exact issue. It worked fine and then, I used the triple monitor mode on my Mac Pro M1 and this started happening. The issue is not present when using Mac triple monitor mode.

Hi, do you mean cropping issue? Do you have any image or video which can show the current issue? Thanks in advance.

All seems to be working at 60fps and with no screen cropping with this firmware “air_07.1.01.192_20221022.bin”. When I updated to the most recent (12/5/22) I found the screen cropping has returned. Be sure to keep a copy of the listed firmware to keep the Steam Deck working perfectly!

Thanks for the info on the problem.

Hi, I noticed you said the ‘screen cropping issue’ occurs again. Could you please give me more details about it?

Sure thing, Nreal-dev. As the OP of the thread first mentioned back on June 28th there was cropping of approximately 10-15% of the display. In my personal experience the cropping was showing the top of the display on the bottom of the Airs display with a large black bar just above it, thus making the screen look very misaligned when connecting a Steam Deck via a HDMI connection. This seems to have been present while running the newest firmware (07.1.01.179_20220914). Fonix232 mentioned it was likely a Vsync while using an HDMI connection via a hub, but it was not present on the previously released firmware (air_07.1.01.192_20221022).

I use a powered HDMI (Elebase) to USB-C female which I connect the glasses to, thus allowing me to use the powered glasses, charging Steam Deck, and any other device plugged into the hub. When I reflashed to the past firmware update the display from the Deck was normal and showing no cropping issues.

Hope this helps to clarify!

OK, got it. Because we changed the display logics in the latest firmware version, so there is no cropping issue now.

07.1.01.179_20220914 is actually not the latest firmware - I believe you might’ve used the glasses on your phone, running an older version of Nebula, which downgraded the firmware. For simplicity, let’s call this v179 (since the first part of the version, 07.1.01 does not change between versions, and the part after the underscore is the build date - 2022 09 14).

The firmware you used previously (07.1.01.192_20221022) is a newer build, v192, which comes from the activation/update page Nreal made available. This version should contain the HDMI fix, unlike v179 and versions before.

Unfortunately Nebula is still tied to a specific firmware version, and it will downgrade the glasses upon connection. @XREAL-dev hopefully you guys are already working on a way to detach the firmware version from the Nebula version, and implement a minFirmware and maxFirmware flag, opportunistically updating the glasses if necessary, for compatibility reasons.