Unity project cannot be loaded into glasses

I have attached the screenshot of Nebula below.

I am located in Southeast Asia.

I have tried to connect my phone with light again and this time Nebula AR Space worked for more than usual. But, when I selected the helloMR project, it said ‘You are about to enter a third party application’ and it shows it loading, and then kicks me back to the Nebula AR Space main menu.

Also, when I downloaded the Unity app into my phone, I plugged in my phone to my laptop, copied the apk into my downloads folder and downloaded the app that way. Would that affect how the Unity apk works, or must I use the adb method? If so, I tried to use the command on my laptop but the command wasn’t recognised.

Installing the app using the method you described (copying the APK to your downloads folder and installing it from there) should not affect how the Unity APK works. However, I personally find using adb more convenient. If you want to use adb, you can Google how to install adb, as the installation process differs depending on your platform.

Since you were able to enter AR Space, let’s try another approach. After entering AR Space, go back to the home screen, which means putting Nebula in the background. At this point, the glasses should display a split phone screen (half on the left eye and half on the right eye), indicating that the glasses are in 3D mode. Then, find the HelloMR app on your phone’s home screen and open it. Can you see if this method works?

When I open Nebula, I pull up my phone’s home button and exit via there, and I see Nebula’s small icon in the corner. Is this correct? When I click on the phone controller’s home screen twice it exits the AR Space main menu and I only see a black screen.

When I click on the HelloMR in my phone, I see the Unity splash screen on my phone, and after that the glasses’ screen goes black and I’m kicked back to the AR Space main menu.

Let’s test it step by step:

1. Insert Light into the phone.
  2. Open Nebula.
  3. Enter AR Space.
  4. Pull up your phone’s home button (it’s OK to see the small icon of Nebula).
  5. Click HelloMR on the home screen.

I also recorded a video to show the whole process.

In the video, when I put down the camera, I was trying to find the XREAL logo in the scene, but it doesn’t matter. You can see the white line (the laser from the controller) and a blue dot (the virtual menu), which means I successfully started the HelloMR.

I was wondering if you are using Dex mode because the issue you described is similar to the one in this post: Samsung Dex for Nreal Light. Could you take a look and see if disabling Dex mode helps?

My Samsung Dex has always been disabled. I have attached a recording of my phone screen here. It is exactly the same as yours, up until trying to load HelloMR in the Google Drive. HelloMR keeps crashing.

Since I cannot reproduce the issue on my end, I can only make some guesses. One possibility could be a compatibility issue with your phone. Another potential issue is that HelloMR requires certain permissions the first time it is installed. Could you check if you have granted all the necessary permissions to HelloMR?

When I installed HelloMR at first, the permission I had to give was to download external files, and when I checked for any permission grants after that, there were no permissions required.

Edit: What sort of compatibility issue could be the problem? Is the Unity project?

No, just our glasses might not be compatible with S22+.(But we’ve tested S22, which is perfectly compatible, it is a bit strange.)

I just uninstalled and reinstalled HelloMR, and there are two permissions that need to be granted:

1. Show on top (a small icon appears in the corner when the app is in the background, like Nebula).
  2. Allow HelloMR to access photos and media on your device.

Could you check if you have granted these permissions and try again?

Okay, I will uninstall and reinstall and record the process. Will get back to you.

Edit: So I have reinstalled helloMR, and it is the same situation. However, when I tried to download another file from this thread: NRSDK 1.10.2 Apps crash after 10 minutes of run-time - #4 by martdob

I added the video (reinstall_helloMR) of me installing helloMR and me trying to open it, and it only prompted the Show on top message, not the access to photos and media. Strangely enough, I compared it with the test3D.apk from the thread and it did need these permissions to run (test3D.jpg).

1 Like

Then can you open test3D?
I build a [test apk] too(5.apk - Google Drive), could you try to use this one? Grant all the permissions.

Note that when you open these 3D application, you need to open Nebula and enter AR Space firstly.

1 Like

When I open test3D it says it’s using an outdated Android version, and also that if I try to open it, it gives me the error ‘Please connect your glasses (101)’ even though I can still see Nebula. Though, it did ask for permissions.

5.apk works perfectly, I’ve attached the video in the Google Drive.

Edit: The phone controller works, and I can see the application running smoothly, and exit the app and back to AR Space.

1 Like

Great! It sounds like your devices are workable. Let’s go back to the build process :joy:
Please check these settings:

Or, alternatively, should I just create a new Git repository, set up the environment, and you can develop based on that repo? Do you think this would be more efficient?

I do not mind either way, as I will be installing this unity version first in the meantime

Actually, I think the minor version doesn’t matter much. It might take a long time to set up the new version of Unity. I’ll first create a Git repository for you.

1 Like

While pushing, I built another HelloMR with my own setup. I noticed that no media permission was required. Did you add media permissions to your project?

And here is the repo: GitHub - dengxian-xreal/test221: NRSDK 2.2.1, basic project.

Thank you, I will use the repo and replicate the project on my side and get back to you.

For HelloMR in my case, I did not add any media permissions.

1 Like

Thank you for the original post, as I was having the exact same issue. And thanks for the repo, that helps a lot, as I was able to build successfully from that.

I’m still not able to build an app if I start a Unity project completely from scratch, so I’m still trying to figure out what I’m missing on.

2 Likes

I was successfully able to build a sample project of HelloMR from your repo, and I also installed the same Unity version and could also build another project on it. Thanks so much for your help!

1 Like