Access cam image in Xreal Air Ultra

I have the plan to support Xreal Air Ultra in the existing app. Developper can access the cam image via NRCameraYUV api?

Sorry, you can’t. The camera on the Ultra is a grayscale camera used for various AR features and algorithms. As a result, it is not currently open to developers.

Thank you for your reply. I wanted to use the grayscale camara for QR code detetion. It means that it is not possible?

Yes, unfortunately, you can’t do that. Besides the permission issue, the camera on the Ultra is not only a grayscale camera but also a fisheye camera, which causes distortion. This would likely result in poor performance for QR code scanning.

Since the glasses are connected to your phone, why not use the phone’s camera to scan QR codes instead? It would be much more effective.

How do we go about using the phone camera rather than the Ultra to scan the QR codes? Can you even do that while the glasses are connected? I’ve seen posts on here in the past that say that isn’t even possible?

Genuinely curious, as I have a few apps I want to port across to the Ultras, but need to find a way to get QR codes to work.

Hi developer,

it is indeed possible to use the phone camera to scan QR codes while the glasses are connected. Our engineering team has previously implemented similar functionality. If you’re looking to develop this feature yourself, you can start with basic QR code scanning implementations, for which there are numerous examples available online.

1 Like

That’s good to know! I’ve used ZXing a lot with the Light’s so will see about getting that implemented with phone cameras when the Ultras arrive

1 Like

Just want to say thanks for that headsup, I’ve got QR Code scanning perfectly with ZXing via the phone rather than the glasses with the Ultras :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it would be great if future SDK versions could provide access to grayscale camera images. There are many interesting AI features that require image input. As a developer, even though it’s a fisheye and grayscale camera, I would love to have access to this data to develop exciting features

1 Like

Same. It’s a massive downgrade to not have access to a camera at all

1 Like