Do they HAVE to be connected to a phone? Do they need to be cabled?

So I’m considering pre-ordering the Air 2 Ultra but I’m going to assume it works the same way as the Air 2 Pro.

OK sorry for the possibly dumb question but I’ve just noticed that it mentions for development you can use the Galaxy S22 and S23. XREAL Air 2 Ultra

Must the glasses be paired to a phone to work for consumers?
When connected does it have to be via cable?

When using with a console, is that via cable?
When using a console, is a phone required?

Many thanks.

Thank you for your questions about the XREAL Air 2 Ultra. Let’s address each of your concerns:

1. Must the glasses be paired to a phone to work for consumers?
  • Not necessarily. The glasses can function as a display device and can be connected to a phone, computer, or other devices, depending on your usage scenario.
  1. When connected, does it have to be via cable?
  • Yes, the glasses need to be connected via a USB-C cable to ensure stable video and data transmission.
  1. When using with a console, is that via cable?
  • Yes, when using the glasses with a console (such as Xbox or PlayStation), you need to connect them via a cable.
  1. When using a console, is a phone required?
  • No, a phone is not required when using the glasses with a console. You can connect the glasses directly to the console using an HDMI to USB-C adapter. There are two options:
    1. Use the Beam and H-C cable.
    2. Use a third-party HDMI to USB-C adapter (such as one from UGREEN). Note:
    • HDMI-C audio is DP audio; the glasses’ default audio is USB, so you need to manually switch the audio.
    • The HDMI-C adapter requires additional power to supply both the adapter and the glasses.

Thanks very much for the clear answers @Dorix

1 Like