More reasons to support Linux

Hey just a friendly reminder that Linux has a lot of steam behind it even if it seems like the numbers are small.
Check this out.
Walkthrough of Zwin: XR Windowing System, Now Available for Everyone - YouTube from Zwin (previously known as Ziggen)
Check out the Most used OSes for developers according to the 2022 StackOverflow survey
Stack Overflow Developer Survey 2022

Workflow and productivity are top of the list for Linux Devs.
Nreal Air + Linux is the way.

5 Likes

Hi, we do have the plan to support Linux, but it has lower priority than Windows.

1 Like

Since you guys are going to drag your feet, maybe never deliver, please release the github project to community and let the developers carry along the project. Your product will go farther than driven by an internal product team that is far slower to deliver. Else… developer community will pick a different product and you will be left in the dust.

Look at products like creality enders and how opensource has pushed their product much faster.

1 Like

Can you give any info on progress of windows support?

Thanks for pointing us to the Zwin project. It looks really good and has what seems to be an ideal unique approach, with possibility to mix 2D and 3D apps in a single spatial environment. Even better than multiple virtual monitors!

I notice an nreal air branch in the zwin mirror client app which usually targets the oculus headsets. Does that mean it may be possible to install this on a beam unit or something. If it was possible to somehow use zwin with this headset I could be pulled out of the quest for everything productivity related.

I’m really looking forward to using these kind of headsets on Linux for enhanced productivity, including while travelling!

So apparently someone did manage to get Zwin to work by installing the client on an Android phone that is plugged into the headset:

Zwin’s approach seems really efficient and sensible, being a VR native desktop manager. Rather than having mutiple virtual monitors, the applications simply float in the spatial environment. And they seem to have 3D support working fine too and even direct support for STL display!

It would be excellent if Xreal developed native support, removing the need for the android handset. So given all that, the quest is still winning for me unfortunately, but I would dearly love a more travel friendly headset like the Air Pro. It could provide a far more scalable environment, have less things to charge when on the move, and even maybe save laptop battery life, by not having to use the monitor.

There’s some informative discussion in their discord about this.

1 Like