Nebula + Linux for nReal Air

Mirror mode is great on Linux. Would be great to have Nebula on Linux to get the virtual monitors and 6dof and have the monitors locked to the World instead of constantly in front of my face. Love the nReal Airs!

14 Likes

Thanks for your suggestion, I will record your request and give feedback. But I have to tell you that Mac and Windows are our priorities to realize this function.

2 Likes

I gotcha, Mac and Windows have all the users. Well, if it helps to save some effort. Here is GitHub - SimulaVR/Simula: Linux VR Desktop and I think you just need to support OpenXR on Linux. Also, https://stardustxr.org/ supports OpenXR. Would be cool if you can spare some man hours.

5 Likes

Adding support for Linux would also make integration with Steam Deck easier.

5 Likes

I’m a software developer and this would be ideal for me while I travel and I exclusively use linux so it’d be great to be able to have a triple monitor dev environment while I’m on the go. Please support linux and I’ll buy one right away!

6 Likes

I fully agree. Please make it happen, and please also release the sources so that people can package it for distros other than just Debian-based ones.

Or better yet, offer a true distro-agnostic package, like a Guix package or an Appimage.

I don’t own a Steam Deck but surely this is a huge user base of the Nreal glasses, Nebula for it and the new featues like the 21:9 curved screen, or multi-monitor, would make a lot of sense for it. Using 3-dof data to move the view in a fixed screen, like TrackIR does, would be awesome too.

4 Likes

Thanks for your suggestions. :smiley:

2 Likes

Another linux dev here! Also would be great to work with these. Steamdeck would also benefit from it :smiley:

4 Likes

@XREAL-dev - @agustin.ramiro.diaz makes a very good point here. The Steam Deck market is big and if you built an experience for Steam Deck you’d be able to really differentiate yourself from other competitors plus have all the big YouTube stations telling all of their Steam Deck users to get the Nreal Air. Meanwhile, the rest of us on this thread can just use it as is for Linux (ha ha ha). FWIW, I also have a Steam Deck and won’t be mad about it if you make this happen.

3 Likes

Hi, we are noticing the SD market too. And we will find a solution for it.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for considering building it for the Steam Deck. A huge community would appreciate it and I will be eagerly waiting for it. Thanks for your efforts!

3 Likes

Another +1 for Linux support. Long term aim is to replace my MacBook and use Nreal Air + Steam Deck + Linux as both my gaming and dev pc.

4 Likes

Huge amount of devs are using linux. If you want to win that community, their support, and contribution, definitely need to support linux. Nowadays, every serious company has already realized and released proper software for linux community.

5 Likes

+1 vote up for the Linux and https://stardustxr.org

2 Likes

Another developer using Linux here. Having multiple virtual monitors would instantly sell this to me. It seems perfect in many ways for travelling and having multiple monitors in a pocket sized and socially acceptable format. At this point my only option seems to be a quest 3 with immersed, which is a monthly subscription streaming solution and also doesn’t really work with multiple monitors. Not to mention being locked into Meta’s mind reading platform.

2 Likes

I came here looking to see if it would be worthwhile to buy an Xreal for productivity use on Linux. But it seems Linux support isn’t a priority yet. :frowning:

My use case would be to replace a multiple monitor setup with something that didn’t take up the space, and I could take with me.

2 Likes

Same here! My friends and I all use linux and no multi monitor supports is the only thing holding us back. It would be perfect otherwise since I am a linux dev, work from home and i love to travel. This would become my primary setup most likely

Linux dev and nixpkgs open source contributor here. I use the steamdeck as my development and gaming environment. It would be amazing if you could open source the application for the displays and leverage the open source community and get this work done for free.

Another Linux user here. I would greatly appreciate it if the app were made available, even if it were a test version.

Linux user here, very love to see virtual display in desktop steamdeck, btw here is some developer work that do some XRlinux driver

hope it get support from Xreal team or someone here also

1 Like