Anybody Receive Their Air 2 Ultras Yet?

Are they shipping? It said end of April, would love to hear or see any reviews, unboxing etc?

1 Like

OK, shipping date has been removed, now back to available for pre-order.

Integrity and trust. Even a week or 2 after the date it still said shipping end of April.

You must have known it wasnā€™t going to happen way before that. Come on xreal, this is disappointing!

1 Like

So is there a new projected shipping date?
Can you give us any idea @XREAL-dev ?

Thanks.

Itā€™s been delayed again. Almost identical language to the last delay

XREAL Air 2 Ultra has continued to see extremely high demand. However, getting the necessary certifications required to finish production and for global shipping took longer than expected, but the certifications have been secured and production has ramped up. Shipping will begin soon! We expect the first batch of XREAL Air 2 Ultra shipments to leave our warehouses around mid-June, and after global warehouse intake and outtake, we expect units to begin arriving for customers in early July. We know its been a long wait and we appreciate your patience. We canā€™t wait for you to experience XREAL Air 2 Ultra!

1 Like

Argh no. I assume you had pre-ordered it @R4newyork and thatā€™s the email from xreal? Well hope you do get it in July and I hope itā€™s worth the wait!

UK shop now updated to early July XREAL Air 2 Ultra

:+1:

1 Like

Early July has been and gone, any updates on whether youā€™ve received anything yet?

Hi @f0ld - I havenā€™t actually ordered one - Iā€™ve been very careful about this and was waiting to see real-world reviews although itā€™s been extremely tempting.

Unfortunately it looks like they wonā€™t be suitable for what I mainly wanted it for - an app using AR over WebXR - xreal have answered my question in this thread: Does This WebXR Samples Page Work in Air 2 Ultra? - #3 by andyvirt

For now, the Quest 3 is best for this, I was just really hoping to throw off the large headset and use glasses. I guess the wait continues :slightly_frowning_face:

Some of the clients I work with have ordered them off the back of the work we did using the Lights/dev kit version. They havenā€™t received them yet despite pre-ordering them when they were announced. So was curious to see if anyone else had.

The theory behind ordering them being that work thatā€™s already been done wonā€™t have to be too reworked. But the Lights had so many flaws and the SDK was lacking in so many areas, I donā€™t know what to expect with the Ultras.

I saw on another forum that XR support is offered to B2B ā€˜Enterpriseā€™ customers. So Iā€™m guessing their generic SDK is watered down for everyone else and might explain your conflicting answers on the browser question? Who knows. You can never get a straight answer.

Iā€™ve tried the Meta Quest Pro, but didnā€™t like the pass through too much. The Vision Pro is amazing quality, but costs far too much. Canā€™t win :joy:

Mine arrived today. Only had one day warning it was coming, they were using a local distribution company. Now time to figure out how to develop for it

Thatā€™s great to hear @R4newyork . So we should start seeing reviews soon. Would be very interested in your opinions on capability :+1:t2:

The Quest 3 is much better than the Pro in most areas minus eye and face tracking of course. The Vision Pro which Iā€™ve had since release is good for Disney+ :joy:
AVP also donā€™t do AR over WebXR. A lot of people say that Apple will never allow that.
Unfortunately to develop for it with Unity which I still believe is the go-to platform for XR you need to pay Ā£2000 per year. Just another barrier.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had the Ultras for about 3 weeks now, are there specific opinions you are looking for? Or something youā€™d like tested?

Hi @Nyb72 . What device(s) are you using with it?

The main thing I needed testing has been answered by xreal now and it wasnā€™t good news - I wanted to know about AR over WebXR Does This WebXR Samples Page Work in Air 2 Ultra?

But anyway, Iā€™m still interested in smart glasses as a product. How about watching a youtube video while youā€™re walking - how is that as an experience? A friend told me that it was difficult with the nreal Lights as ā€œthey made the ground feel out of placeā€.
Comfort is obviously a huge thing - Iā€™m thinking about work and I donā€™t think most people would wear them for more than an hour at a time - whatā€™s your opinion on comfort?

Your opinion on anything else, just your thoughts would be very welcome.

Many thanks.

When Iā€™m walking around, I typically put the glasses into Dex and set the background to black so itā€™s transparent. Then Iā€™ll put content like a video off in the corner so I can still move about with relatively unobstructed vision. But I feel like I can already do that with the Air 1. The experience is fine, slightly gimmicky, but can pass for entertainment. To be honest, I donā€™t mind having a screen locked in view like a HUD, because the limited FOV of most AR headsets makes 3/6 DOF applications feel like youā€™re using a periscope, but thatā€™s my own personal opinion.

I think where the Ultra shines is the ability to do 6DOF and not having to rely on a Beam/BeamPro to do it. Thereā€™s options via depth mesh, planes, and images to anchor to. Itā€™s not the most stable compared to other AR experiences Iā€™ve used (i.e. Hololens, Vuforia), but Ultra is a far cheaper solution for a consumer target ($699 vs a $2500-5500 Hololens or compounding Vuforia subscription costs). And the visual quality of the Ultra, to me, is far superior to waveguide based optics like on a Hololens or Vusix.

Comfort is so subjective and individual. I work in a MR lab where weā€™ve run hundreds of people through head mounted displays, some people can wear it all day, some people feel seasick within seconds. I would say, in my early trials, people like the comfort of an xReal more than most because of weight. Surprisingly the passthrough nature of AR doesnā€™t always prevent someone from feeling seasick, itā€™s dependent on the stability of the AR overlay. Generally (again my opinion) if youā€™re okay using something like a Quest for hours, then youā€™d have no problem wearing an xReal.

Fantastic, thanks @Nyb72 - all opinions are useful. Iā€™ve used the Hololens 2 and Magic Leap 2 and and found them very underwhelming. The Quest 3 passthrough is so much better for what I want them for. I think after using a Quest 3 the FOV might disappoint now but Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll find a use for these.

Yeah, as of now, I completely prefer the Ultra over other headsets like the Hololens, Magic Leap, Vive XR Elite, etc. The combination of hardware cost, wearability (not feeling like an alien walking around), SDK cost (free), easily offsets any concerns over slightly jittery overlays. And whoā€™s to say that maybe the SDK will improve in that regard, or maybe I need to find more stable ways to process/prep anchors. There are just so many possibilities here, just need to spend more time on the SDK.

Weā€™ve done some user testing and generally the prevailing sentiment is the sameā€¦ people remark the AR is more jittery, but they like the wearability and the visual clarity of the Ultras overall compared to the others.