Next Gen Glasses - Features Required to Justify Purchase

Feedback for Nreal

My use cases are 2D Productivity on phones/laptops and OpenXR Apps on desktops/laptops

Below is the list of features that are necessary for me to justify purchasing Nreal’s next gen glasses:

• Clear lenses that allow for sharp viewing of 6pt and 8pt fonts without scaling or magnification. This is absolutely essential for 2D Productivity
  • DSP Mode i.e. utilizing internal DSP/GPU/3DOF of the glasses to shift screen based on head movement independent of host device glasses are plugged into. All screen shifting computation done entirely using chips onboard the glasses. This, again, is essential for 2D Productivty
  • OpenXR support on Windows independent of host CPU or GPU.
  • 6DOF computed entirely by glasses independent of host. This is essential for OpenXR support on Windows. Alternatively, 6DOF could be computed using the new AI instruction sets of the upcoming desktop/laptop CPUs. In any case battery/power usage for 6DOF computation has to stay low.
  • Wayfarer frame that is less feminine
  • Extra large or oversize frame option
  • USB-C passthrough charging adapter with a built-in HDMI converter i.e. one adapter that works universally for desktops, laptops and phones.

As much as Qualcomm is trying to lock 6DOF computation to their external host CPUs within the glasses market segment, Nreal has to overcome this limitation using new AI capabilities of other CPU vendors.

@XREAL-dev
How realistic is it to expect this list fulfilled by next gen?
Am I understanding it correctly, does AR2 chip allow 6DOF computation internally by glasses alone?

1 Like

I should add that 6DOF should be computed using an external mini FPGA board/stick to remain independent of the host CPU.
This is the best solution for OpenXR on Windows for the time being.

And, as one would expect, Next Gen should come with increased FOV and resolution to maintain or exceed PPD of the previous model.